Addison was born with a Giant Congenital Nevus on her left leg. The journey is a struggle. Decisions are hard. We hope that Addison's experience can help others dealing with the same issue. While we know that there are others that are more extreme, we hope that in sharing her story, we can provide support and encouragement. Leave a comment, let us know you've been here.

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Keeping a sense of humor

Addi is having a harder time with pain this time than she has ever had in the past and can't walk, it was Will's drill weekend with the Air Force this past weekend, the kids were out of school on Friday, and I am trying to maintain my work hours. These all contribute to my being more tired than usual, which makes the things that my kids say all the more funny to me. For example:


*Addi started screaming when I got her out of bed this morning, that darn leg is hurting so bad. I set her in her chair at the table to get her some breakfast, and of course, she immediately had to go to the bathroom, which causes more screaming. After that, she wouldn't sit in her chair at all. I had to hold her while she ate a few bites of waffle, then I settled her on the chair in the basement, not to be moved unless absolutely necessary. I periodically asked her throughout the day if her leg was hurting, wanting to make sure that she had enough medicine if she needed it. The last time I asked her if her leg hurt, she responded with this: "Mom, if my leg starts hurting again, I'll just cry so you will know." That's not the response I was looking for.

*We were sitting at the kitchen table having dinner and I got up to get Addi some chocolate milk. She started getting a little feisty with her sisters, and when Will told her to quit yelling, she looked at him calmly and stated, "I'm not yelling at you." That makes it so much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment